Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Women in Science and Mathematics

I have an unfortunate habit of becoming distracted by the latest thing that catches my interest. Unfortunately, I began this blog during one of those times and I have failed to keep up with it. One reason, is that the arguments around evolution, climate change, and religion become very tiring. This is a reason for another post, another time, but suffice it to say that as a person who believes in God I have no problem reconciling that belief with science. In fact, the arguments against science seem irrational enough for me to have trouble taking them seriously. So, from time to time it gets my ire up, but lately it's just tiring.

The second reason that this blog has languished is that around the same time I began a blog about women in history - Saints, Sisters, and Sluts. This combined several of my interests - math, science, and history. I have written about women mathematicians and scientists, but also about religious figures in history. Lately, a friend who has spent years researching the history of Great Britain has begun writing about queens of England. This has attracted more attention than I would ever have gotten writing about women in mathematics and science - go figure! But needless to say my attention has been devoted to that blog lately.

However, for the few who may stumble upon this blog and are also interested in women's history in math and science, I invite you to join us on the other blog. Here is a list of the women I've written about so far with links to those posts. You might also find other interesting things on the blog.

Maria Gaetana Agnesi - 18th Century Mathematician

Sonya Kovalevsky - A Marriage of Convenience

 Madame Curie (This is the link to the first of two posts about Maria Curie.)

 Emilie du Chatelet - "femme savant" and paramour

Laura Bassi - Italian Physicist (1711 - 1778)

Mary Fairfax Somerville - Mathematics by Candlelight

Check it out, especially if you also like Queens of England!


No comments:

Post a Comment